AI Software Engineer: Embedded Computer Vision
Synapline is a privately funded technology start-up company, building AI-powered unmanned and autonomous systems to help professionals in Defense, Government, and Commercial sectors to collaborate, operate and manage mission-critical unmanned operations with more efficiency, safety, and security.
We are a diverse team of problem solvers and experts in artificial intelligence, computer vision, software, and hardware engineering, that are building hardware and software products and solutions to dramatically enhance the capabilities of organizations to drive better decisions with more certainty in complex and dynamic environments.
We believe that by augmenting human intelligence and amplifying human capabilities with intelligent machines and responsible artificial intelligence technologies, we will help to build a more resilient society and further accelerate human invention and creativity.
If you are passionate about solving challenging engineering problems that have a real world impact, come join Synapline and build the future of autonomous and collaborative intelligence.
About the role
We are developing AI-powered software for autonomous operation and situational awareness using advanced technologies at the intersection of artificial intelligence, machine learning, sensor fusion, computer vision, embedded systems, and drones.
To solve key challenges in autonomy and situational awareness during unmanned operations in complex and dynamic environments, we apply neural networks and classical computer vision models to the multi-spectral visual sensors data for autonomous aerial detection, recognition, pose estimation, GPS denied navigation, and autonomous planning.
As AI/ML engineer in our team, you will be playing a key role in developing cutting-edge AI software capabilities mentioned above together with the Software, Product, and Hardware team.
You will be responsible for the full lifecycle of Machine learning software development projects, from problem understanding, solution design, data collection, model training, and validation, deployment and testing, field testing on an embedded device, as well as documentation of results, demo, and work on continuous improvements of performance.
Some days you write code to add a mission-critical feature to an existing product. Some days you go to the field to coordinate real-world testing of your new feature with other supporting team members. Some days everything works beautifully. Some days nothing works and you have to figure out what’s broken.
As an applicant, you don’t need to be experienced in robotics or perception or deploying predictive models on embedded devices, but you do need to be an engineer - a pragmatic problem solver - with strong skills in software and machine learning engineering. As part of the job, you will have opportunities to work with domain experts to develop your skills in areas such as robotics, sensor fusion, computer vision, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.
What you will be doing on a day-to-day basis?
- Work with Product, Software, and Hardware team to analyze the problem, design the solution, scope our the key requirements, prioritize and develop new features for our software products
- Data collection, annotation, and pre-processing. We have our proprietary dataset, and you will be helping us with collecting data from public sources, from the field, and simulators.
- Researching, building, training, validating, debugging, and deploying machine learning, deep learning, and computer vision models on embedded GPUs.
- Develop analysis tools to allow for rapid iteration
- Going to the field to coordinate real-world testing of your new feature with other supporting team members
- Analyze root cause failures, come up with optimal solutions, and coordinate next-steps
- Learn about the domain and competitors to propose new ideas and solutions, as well as, improvements in existing solutions.
To succeed in this role, you should bring the following:
- MS or BS in Computer science, Data Science, Mathematics, Robotics, Aerospace Engineering, or related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Excellent English language skills - both written and verbal.
- Great passion for artificial intelligence, computer vision, robotics, and unmanned systems (e.g., drones).
- Knowledge and experience with:
- Production-grade Python software development
- Working knowledge of C/C++ programming
- Full-stack Machine learning: Data collection and management, developing, benchmarking, debugging, and deploying classical machine learning and deep learning models
- Familiarity with machine learning libraries and frameworks such as Scikit-learn, Pandas, Numpy, PyTorch, and TensorFlow.
- Unix environments
- Ability and interest in constantly generating new ideas about how to further improve our products and services
- Demonstrated record of strong problem-solving skills, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others.
- A pragmatic, creative, and flexible attitude, can-do mentality, and energy to tackle any problem that might arise.
- Ability to carry out all responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to learn more, grow, and adapt quickly to the changing environment
You will impress us if you have foundations in one or more of the following areas and are interested in learning more:
- Experience with building and deploying computer vision models for object recognition, semantic segmentation, pose estimation, and object tracking
- Experience with deploying deep learning or computer vision models on embedded devices (such as GPU, TPU, CPU)
- Proficiency in production-grade C/C++ software development
- Broad interest in a variety of computer technology topics
- Excellent algorithmic problem-solving abilities
- Familiarity with robotics technologies related to sensing, state estimation, tracking, path planning, and data fusion.
- Understanding and experience with unmanned systems technologies.
In return, we offer you:
- Fast-paced startup environment, where you will be constantly learning new skills and acquiring new knowledge faster than anywhere else.
- To be part of a small team of ambitious people aiming to build a more resilient society and further accelerate human invention and creativity.
- Opportunity and provide with all necessary resources to develop and deploy innovative AI-based software and hardware products for the industry that has a real-world impact.
- Competitive salary. It will be based on your skills, knowledge, and experience.
- Trips to relevant conferences and events
- Flexible working hours
- The friendly, open-minded, fun, and collaborative environment of experts where you can grow as a professional.
- Possibility of learning table tennis at an advanced level.
- Possibility of learning UAV piloting and filming skills (for this, you will need to build a good relationship with Ali and Zehra :)
How to Apply
If you are the person we are looking for, fill in the form and we will get back to you. See you soon :)
- CV screening
- Scheduling an on-site interview to meet the team, have a coffee together, and delve into technical conversation.